Barracuda Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss

Barracuda Earn Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss

Feb 10, 2018

SAN JOSE, CA -  The San Jose Barracuda (21-18-1-4) took a two-goal lead into the final period on Saturday, but the San Diego Gulls (25-17-1-0) powered back late, forcing overtime before eventually winning in the extra session, 3-2, at SAP Center.

After 31 minutes of scoreless play, San Jose opened up the scoring when Paul Martin fired a shot from the left point that ricocheted off Alex True directly in front of the San Diego goal before redirecting off the head of Emerson Clark (5) and behind Gulls netminder Kevin Boyle at the 11:15 mark in the second period, giving the Barracuda a 1-0 lead. Brandon Bollig (8) would add to that lead at the 16:52 mark, pounding home a rebound shot after Jon Martin broke away from the defense and blasted a wrister that got away from the Gulls’ Boyle. The ‘Cuda would carry their 2-0 lead into the third.

The Gulls found their offensive rhythm early in the final 20 minutes of play. Kevin Roy (9) struck first, snapping a shot short-side shot past Troy Grosenick at 3:08 as he streaked down the left wing. Nearly a minute and a half later, Eric Fehr (14) tied the game at 2-2 when he collected his own rebound in front of the net and buried the put-back. Despite desperate efforts from both teams to find the go-ahead opportunity in the final minutes of regulation, the score remained locked, forcing the overtime period.

In overtime, the Barracuda came out firing on an abbreviated power play but San Diego’s Dennis Rasmussen (3) secured the 3-2 victory for the Gulls on a two-on-one at 2:41.

San Jose’s Grosenick (14-9-2) suffered the loss after allowing three goals on 24 shots. Boyle (11-10-1) claimed the win by making 37 saves on 39 shots.


The Barracuda will meet the Gulls again Sunday at 12 p.m. for the second matchup of the weekend series. Listen live on AM 1220 KDOW or on the all-new Sharks + SAP Center App. Tickets start at just $10 and are available for purchase at



Back to All