BARRACUDA WEEKLYNov 12, 2018
Riding a four-game winning streak and a perfect 5-0 road-record, the San Jose Barracuda traveled to Tucson this past weekend for of pair of games against the Roadrunners, affiliate of the Arizona Coyotes. After suffering a 5-0 loss on Friday night, the Barracuda bounced back with a much more spirited effort on Saturday but again failed to find the back of the net, falling 1-0.
Prior to this past weekend, San Jose had not been shutout in back-to-back games since 2015 - Oct. 23 vs. SD (0-3, L), Oct. 24 at ONT (0-3, L). Friday and Saturday marked the 15th and 16th time the Barracuda had been shutout in franchise history and the first two times in 2018-19.
Despite suffering a 1-0 defeat on Saturday, Barracuda netminder Antoine Bibeau ranks first in the AHL in goals-against average (1.69) and save percentage (.938), and rookie netminder Josef Korenar is first among all freshman goalies in goals-against average (2.34) and save percentage (.919). As a team the Barracuda rank first in GAA (1.97) and SV% (.929) in the AHL.
Among first-year players, rookie winger Jayden Halbgewach is T-eighth in the AHL in scoring (11). In addition, Jeremy Roy’s five power-play assists place him third among all rookie skaters in that category and Jeffrey Viel’s five fighting majors is T-first among all rookie skaters.
Despite not skating on Saturday due to suspension, second-year blueliner Nicholas DeSimone is tied for 11th among all AHL defenders with 10 points. In addition, Jake Middleton is third in plus/minus (+10) among all AHL defensemen.
Among all Pacific Division teams, San Jose is averaging a division-low 10.92 penalty minutes per game.
Despite being outscored 6-0 over two games at Tucson, San Jose still ranks first in the league in goals differential (+16) and T-second in the AHL in road-goal differential (+9).
The Barracuda are not in action again until Sunday when they take on the Colorado Eagles for the first time in franchise history and the first of three straight against the Avalanche affiliate. Prior to Sunday, the Eagles will have played three times over the week including a meeting against the Bakersfield Condors on Saturday.
- Overall Record: 9-1-0-1, 0.833 Winning Percentage, T-1st in the Pacific, T-1st in the Western Conference, T-3rd in the AHL
Last Week’s Results
- Mon, Nov. 5 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. Stockton Heat 2
- Fri., Nov. 9 – San Jose Barracuda 0 vs. Tucson 5
- Sat., Nov. 10 – San Jose Barracuda 0 vs. Tucson 1
This Week’s Schedule
- Sun., Nov. 18 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Colorado Eagles – SAP Center at San Jose (6:00 p.m.)
- Goals: Francis Perron - 6
- Assists: Kyle Wood - 8
- Points: Francis Perron, Jayden Halbgewachs - 11
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 21
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 5
- GAA: Antoine Bibeau – 1.69
- SV%: Antoine Bibeau – .938
- Total Goals Scored: 43 | Total Goals Allowed: 27
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 5 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 8
- Power Play: 8-59 (13.6%), 27th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 40-48 (83.3%), 9th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (6-3-0-1)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (0-0-0-0)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (1-0-0-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (1-0-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (0-0-0-0)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (3-1-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (1-2-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (2-0-0-0)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (0-0-0-0)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (0-0-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (1-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 2-2-0-0, 4 points
- Record Overall: 9-6-3, 3rd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Tues., Nov. 13 – San Jose Sharks vs. Nashville Predators (7:30 p.m.)
- Thurs., Nov. 15 – San Jose Sharks at Toronto Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m.)
- Sat., Nov. 17 – San Jose Sharks vs. St. Louis Blues (7:30 p.m.)