BARRACUDA WEEKLYNov 20, 2018
Coming off its first consecutive losses of the season, the Barracuda were off for an entire week before hitting the ice on Sunday as the Cleveland Barons, Sharks affiliate from 2001-06, and welcomed in the Colorado Eagles (Colorado Avalanche) for the first time in franchise history. After a scoreless first, Francis Perron would light the lamp as Jon Martin crossed a brilliant pass from the right wing to Perron who streaked to the low slot. Perron would score again in the period, this time on a five-on-three power play as he ripped a shot from the right point that trickled through Colorado’s Spencer Martin’s five-hole. The two goals for the third-year pro matched a career high he set previously on November 19, 2016, as a member of the Binghamton Senators. Perron is now second in the AHL in shooting percentage (8/34 = 33.33%) after Sunday's two-goal game.
WHAT-A-GAME...the Barons held their 5-0 lead over the Eagles and lead in shots 47-to-16!! pic.twitter.com/JUh047IVfi— San Jose Barracuda (@sjbarracuda) November 19, 2018
In the third period, the 'Cuda would blow the game wide open as John McCarthy, Vincent Praplan and Alex True would all score. Each player snapped a nine-plus game goalless drought.
In the win, Josef Korenar made 16 saves to earn his first pro shutout and improve to 6-1-0-0 on the season. The 16 shots against were the least amount allowed in a game in Barracuda franchise history.
Among rookie goalies who have appeared in six or more games, Korenar ranks first in wins (6), goals-against average (2.00) and save percentage (.926).
Among all goalies who have appeared in six or more games, Antoine Bibeau is first in the AHL in goals-against average (1.69) and save percentage (.938).
The Barracuda now rank second in the AHL in winning percentage (.750), and second in goal differential (+21).
The Barracuda are averaging just 10.86 penalty minutes per game which is the fourth fewest in the league, and when San Jose scores the first goal they have a league-best .944 winning percentage. San Jose’s 1.93 GAA and .932 SV% is tops in the AHL.
- Overall Record: 10-3-0-1, 0.750 Winning Percentage, 1st in the Pacific, 1st in the Western Conference, 2nd in the AHL
Last Week’s Results
- Sun, Nov. 18 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. Colorado Eagles 0
This Week’s Schedule
- Fri., Nov. 23 – San Jose Barracuda at Colorado Eagles – Budweiser Events Center (6:05 p.m. PT)
- Sat., Nov. 24 – San Jose Barracuda at Colorado Eagles – Budweiser Events Center (6:05 p.m. PT)
- Rourke Chariter reassigned to the Barracuda from the Sharks
- Dylan Gambrell recalled to the Sharks from the Barracuda
- Lukas Radil recalled to the Sharks from the Barracuda
- Goals: Francis Perron - 8
- Assists: Kyle Wood - 9
- Points: Francis Perron - 14
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 21
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 6
- GAA: Antoine Bibeau – 1.69
- SV%: Antoine Bibeau – .938
- Total Goals Scored: 48 | Total Goals Allowed: 27
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 5 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 0
- Power Play: 10-67 (14.9%), 25th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 45-53 (84.7%), 6th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (7-3-0-1)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (1-0-0-0)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (1-0-0-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (1-0-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (0-0-0-0)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (3-1-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (1-2-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (3-0-0-0)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (0-0-0-0)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (0-0-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (1-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 2-1-0-0, 4 points
- Record Overall: 11-7-3, 2nd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Tues., Nov. 20 – San Jose Sharks vs. Edmonton Oilers (7:30 p.m.)
- Fri., Nov. 23 – San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks (6:00 p.m.)
- Sat., Nov. 24 – San Jose Sharks vs. Vegas Golden Knights (7:00 p.m.)
- Vincent Praplan scored is first AHL goal on Nov. 18 vs. Colorado