BARRACUDA WEEKLYDec 4, 2018
Earning points in each game last weekend at Colorado, the Barracuda returned back home on Tuesday morning for the second annual ‘Cuda Classroom Day. After falling behind 2-0 in the early stages of the second period against Stockton, San Jose reeled off three straight second-period goals before adding an empty-netter to seal the 4-2 win.
In the victory, San Jose got goals from three different defensemen, and a tally from forward Jon Martin, his first of the year, as Josef Korenar made 30 saves to earn his seventh win of the year.
On Saturday, San Jose made it three wins in a row against the Heat and snapped a four-game road winless drought by rolling to a 6-4 victory over the Flames AHL affiliate at Stockton Arena. In the first, Alex True, Manny Wiederer and John McCarthy all scored, giving the Barracuda a 3-0 lead through 20 minutes. The three first period goals were the most scored by San Jose in a first period this season.
Stockton’s Spencer Foo would net a pair in the game but Jeffrey Viel, Jayden Halbgewachs and Rourke Chartier (EN) would provide the additional offense needed to collect the two points. Antoine Bibeau stopped 26 Stockton shots en-route to the win.
On Monday, in the first meeting of the season against San Diego, San Jose dominated the pace of play in the games first two periods, outshooting the Gulls 30-to-13 and took a 2-0 lead into the final frame. In the third, San Diego tied the game with goals just 13 seconds apart, but the Barracuda would score three unanswered, including the first of the season from defenseman Kyle Wood. In addition, Alex True scored twice in the game as he netted a victory-sealing empty-netter with less than four minutes to play. The 5-3 win over the Gulls was San Jose’s fifth-straight home win and sixth game in which they earned a point.
Over San Jose’s five-game home winning streak they have outscored their opponents 22-to-8. San Jose’s .833 home winning percentage (7-1-0-1) is the best in the AHL and the Barracuda have allowed a league-low 17 goals at home this season. In addition, Team Teal has a +17 goal differential at SAP Center.
Barracuda netminders Antoine Bibeau and Josef Korenar have combined for the AHL’s best goals-against average (2.18) and best save percentage (.924) thus far this season. Bibeau, the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month in October, ranks T-third in the AHL in goals-against (2.18) average and fifth in save percentage (.925). Korenar, who is coming off back-to-back wins, is T-third in the AHL in goals-against average (2.18), fifth in save percentage (.922) and T-fourth in wins (8).
On Monday, San Jose’s leading scorer Francis Perron collected a pair of his assists. The multi-point night was the sixth game this season and 11th in his career. Perron has points in five of his last six games and three multi-point games over that stretch.
Overall Record: 13-3-1-2, 0.736 Winning Percentage
- 1st in the Pacific, 1st in the Western Conference, 1st in the AHL
Last Week’s Results
This Week’s Schedule
- Sat., Dec. 8 – San Jose Barracuda at Bakersfield Condors – Rabobank Arena (7:00 a.m.)
- Sun., Dec. 9 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Bakersfield Condors – SAP Center at San Jose (5:00 p.m.)
- Ivan Kosorenkov reassigned to the Worcester Railers (ECHL) from the San Jose Barracuda
- Goals: Francis Perron - 9
- Assists: Kyle Wood, Francis Perron - 11
- Points: Francis Perron - 20
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 46
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 8
- GAA: Antoine Bibeau, Josef Korenar – 2.18
- SV%: Antoine Bibeau – .925
- Total Goals Scored: 69 | Total Goals Allowed: 44
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 15 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 9
- Power Play: 11-83 (13.3%), 25th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 52-62 (83.9%), 9th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (10-3-1-2)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (1-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (1-0-0-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (1-0-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (1-0-0-0)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (5-1-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (1-2-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (3-0-0-0)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (0-0-0-0)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (0-0-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (1-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 1-2-1-0, 3 points
- Record Overall: 13-10-5, 3rd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Wed., Dec. 5 – San Jose Sharks vs. Carolina (7:30 p.m.)
- Fri., Dec. 7 – San Jose Sharks at Dallas Stars (5:00 p.m.)
- Sat., Dec. 8 – San Jose Sharks at Arizona Coyotes (5:00 p.m.)
- Rouke Chartier played in his 100th AHL game on Saturday at Stockton