BARRACUDA WEEKLYDec 10, 2018
The Barracuda earned their fifth win in a row on Sunday and sixth win consecutively at home by taking down the Bakersfield Condors, 4-0, at SAP Center on Kansas City Blades night. San Jose now boasts the AHL’s best winning percentage (.786 = 15-3-1-2) and have earned points in eight consecutive games. In addition, San Jose has the best goal differential in the league (+31).
On Monday, against San Diego, Alex True would score in the first and John McCarthy in the second to give the Barracuda a 2-0 advantage. A lead San Jose would hold until Alex Dostie and Chase De Leo scored 13 seconds apart in the early stages of the third to tie the game at 2-2. But San Jose would bury the games next three goals including the first of the season from defenseman Kyle Wood. Evan Weinger would also score and Alex True added an empty-netter for his second career multi-goal game. Troy Terry tallied late but the damage was already done. Josef Korenar made 19 saves in the win and former Grand Rapid Griffin/Detroit Red Wing netminder Jared Coreau took the loss after giving up four on 36. In the win, San Jose outshot the Gulls 37-to-22.
GO PERRON GO pic.twitter.com/P17p2Orzl7— San Jose Barracuda (@sjbarracuda) December 10, 2018
On Saturday in Bakersfield, San Jose improved to 2-0 this season at Rabobank Arena, after taking a 4-0 lead midway through the third until Bakersfield scored twice late. In the victory, John McCarthy scored in his third straight game, Alex True potted his fourth goal in his last three and third consecutive game, and Jeffrey Viel and Manny Wiederer scored for the second time over their last three games. Antoine Bibeau was stellar, stopping 33 of Bako’s 35 shots.
The following night, San Jose exploded out of the gates for a pair of goals in the game’s first 39 seconds and added another tally within the first four minutes. Dylan Gambrell snapped an 11-game goalless drought 23 seconds into the game, setting a new record for the fastest goal in franchise history. Manny Wiederer would score 16 seconds later and at 3:57 Francis Perron would net his team-leading 10th on a breakaway, extending his point streak to five games (one goal, six assists). Rourke Chartier would add a power-play goal in the second, his second goal since being assigned from the Sharks in mid-November. Chartier is riding the Barracuda’s longest point streak of the season at six games (two goals, six assists).
San Jose netminders Antoine Bibeau and Josef Korenar have combined for the AHL’s best goals-against average (2.06) and best save percentage (.929) thus far this season. Bibeau, the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month in October, ranks third in the AHL in goals-against (2.16) average and fourth in save percentage (.928). Korenar, a 20-year-old rookie, is second in the AHL in goals-against average (1.99), second in save percentage (.930) and T-second in wins (9), despite appearing in just 11 games. In addition, Korenar is T-fourth in shutouts (2).
Francis Perron, San Jose’s leader in points (22), goals (10), co-leader in assists (12), leader in power-play goals (5), is fourth overall in the league in shooting percentage at 32.3%.
After killing off all 11 Bakersfield power plays over a two-game span, San Jose is now ranked fourth in the AHL in PK% (86.3%).
Overall Record: 15-3-1-2, 0.786 Winning Percentage
- 1st in the Pacific, 1st in the Western Conference, 1st in the AHL
Last Week’s Results
- Monday, Dec. 3 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. San Diego Gulls 3
- Saturday, Dec. 8 – San Jose Barracuda 4 at Bakersfield Condors 2
- Sunday, Dec. 9 – San Jose Barracuda 4 vs. Bakersfield Condors 0
This Week’s Schedule
- Saturday, Dec. 15 – San Jose Barracuda at San Diego Gulls – Valley View Casino Center (7:00 p.m.)
- Sunday, Dec. 16 – San Jose Barracuda at Ontario Reign – Citizens Business Bank Arena (3:00 p.m.)
- Goals: Francis Perron - 10
- Assists: Kyle Wood, Francis Perron - 12
- Points: Francis Perron - 22
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 46
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 9
- GAA: Antoine Bibeau, Josef Korenar – 1.99
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .930
- Total Goals Scored: 77 | Total Goals Allowed: 46
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 13 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 5
- Power Play: 12-88 (13.6%), 28th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 60-72 (86.1%), 4th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (12-3-1-2)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (1-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (3-0-0-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (1-0-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (1-0-0-0)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (5-1-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (1-2-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (3-0-0-0)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (0-0-0-0)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (0-0-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (1-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 2-1-0-0, 4 points
- Record Overall: 15-11-5, 3rd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Monday, Dec. 10 – San Jose Sharks vs. New Jersey Devils (7:30 p.m.)
- Thursday, Dec. 13 – San Jose Sharks vs. Dallas Stars (7:30 p.m.)
- Sunday, Dec. 16 – San Jose Sharks at Chicago Blackhawks (4:00 p.m.)
- Jon Martin played in his 100th AHL game on Sunday vs. Stockton
- Jake Middleton is three points shy of 50 in his AHL career