BARRACUDA WEEKLYJan 29, 2019
Before The Break: The Barracuda entered the AHL All-Star by earning three of a possible four points in a pair of games in Grand Rapids and are now riding a five-game point streak (3-0-1-1). San Jose shutout the Griffins 4-0 on Friday behind 29 saves from Josef Korenar and then fell 3-2 in a shootout on Saturday. The shutout win was San Jose's third shutout win of the year and was the first shutout loss for GR at home since November of 2017. Entering the weekend, the Griffins boasted the AHL’s best home winning percentage before San Jose’s 4-0 win on Friday.
Star-Studded: The Barracuda were well represented at the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic earlier this week in Springfield, MA. Assistant captain Jake Middleton, winger Francis Perron, goaltender Josef Korenar and head coach Roy Sommer were all in Springfield as Barracuda representatives. Perron co-won the sharp-shooter contest on Sunday after hitting all four targets in six attempts and collected two points (one goal, one assist) in the three-on-three tournament. Middleton finished T-second among all skaters with four points (one goal, three assists) during the three-on-three tournament.
Sommer-Time: Barracuda head coach and Oakland native Roy Sommer is one-win shy of 750 in his AHL career. The all-time leader in AHL wins was the third Golden State native to make the NHL during his playing career that spanned three games with the Wayne Gretzky led Edmonton Oilers and became the second Californian to score in the NHL on January 28, 1981, against the Montreal Canadiens.
Road Warriors: After earning points in each game over the weekend in Grand Rapids, the Barracuda have now collected points in three consecutive road games and boast the Pacific’s best road winning percentage at .684 (11-4-1-3) and are 6-2-0-2 over their last 10 on visiting ice. In addition, SJ has a +12-goal differential on the road which also ranks first in the division.
True or False?: Sophomore forward Alex True collected a pair of points (one goal, one assist) on Sunday and now leads the team in points (34), second in goals (12), first in assists (20), second in plus/minus (+17), T-third in power-play goals, third in points-per-game (.89), and T-first in game-winners (3). True finished second on the Barracuda in goals last season (15) as a rookie and has now registered six multi-point games this season.
Two-Headed Monster: San Jose’s goalie combo of Josef Korenar and Antoine Bibeau have combined for the AHL’s best goals-against average (2.35) and save percentage (.918). The 20-year-old rookie Korenar is second in the AHL in GAA (2.10), third in SV% (.924), T-fourth in wins (15), and T-third in shutouts (3). Bibeau is T-12th in the league in GAA (2.59) and in SV% (.913).
Francis on Fire: Acquired from the Ottawa Senators in the Erik Karlsson trade, the third-year pro is second on the Barracuda in points (28), first in goals (13), T-fourth in assists (15), first in power-play goals (6), first in shooting percentage (26.0%), T-first in game-winning goals (3) and is T-fourth in plus/minus (+13).
Hard Wood: Acquired in an offseason trade with the Arizona Coyotes, Kyle Wood is T-first on the Barracuda in assists (20), first in plus/minus (+20) and is T-fourth in points (23). Wood was an AHL All-Star in 2016-17 and was named an AHL All-Rookie member after totaling 43 points (14g, 29a) with the Tucson Roadrunners.
Overall Record: 24-8-2-4, 0.711 Winning Percentage
- 1st in the Pacific, 1st in the Western Conference, 2nd in the AHL
Last Week’s Results
- Monday, Jan. 21 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. Bakersfield Condors 6 F/OT
- Friday, Jan. 25 – San Jose Barracuda 4 at Grand Rapids Griffins 0
- Saturday, Jan. 26 – San Jose Barracuda 2 at Grand Rapids Griffins 3 F/SO
This Week’s Schedule
- Friday, Feb. 1 – San Jose Barracuda at Stockton Heat – Stockton Heat (7:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, Feb. 2 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Stockton Heat – SAP Center (1:15 p.m.)
- Dylan Gamrell reassigned to the San Jose Barracuda (1/23)
- Jake Middleton reassigned to the San Jose Barracuda (1/23)
- Goals: Francis Perron - 13
- Assists: Alex True - 22
- Points: Alex True - 34
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 70
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 15
- GAA: Josef Korenar – 2.10
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .924
- Total Goals Scored: 127 | Total Goals Allowed: 96
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 11 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 9
- Power Play: 25-151 (16.6%), T-23rd in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 109-128 (85.2%), 4th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (19-8-2-3)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (2-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (3-0-1-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (4-1-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (1-3-0-1)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (7-1-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (2-3-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (5-0-0-1)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (1-0-0-1)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (0-0-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (2-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 1-1-0-0
- Record Overall: 29-16-7, 2nd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Saturday, Feb. 2 – San Jose Sharks vs. Arizona Coyotes
- Roy Sommer is one-win shy of 750 in his AHL career
- Francis Perron is four-games shy of 150 in his AHL career
- Nick DeSimone is one-game shy of 100 in his AHL career
- Jake Middleton two-games shy of 150 in his AHL career
- Jake Middleton is one-point shy of 50 in his AHL career