BARRACUDA WEEKLYFeb 19, 2019
Getting’ it Done: The Barracuda wrapped up the week with a 5-2 win over the San Diego Gulls on Monday, avenging an 8-3 loss at hands of the Gulls just two days before. Monday’s win was in front of a season-high 6,027 fans for Orange you Glad Day and snapped a five-game skid against SD. After twice erasing first period deficits, the Barracuda took over Monday’s game by scoring four unanswered goals including a pair on the power-play. In the victory, Alex True netted his team-leading 16th and 17th goals of the year, marking the third multi-goal game of his season and fourth of his career.
Up Next: On Thursday the Barracuda take on the Iowa Wild for the first of two consecutive meetings at the Wells Fargo Arena and the second matchup on the four-game season series. Thursday marks just the second visit for San Jose to Iowa in franchise history and the first since Jan. 16, 2016 (1-2 OTL). In that OT loss, Aaron Dell made 45 saves on 47 shots and Trevor Parkes scored San Jose’s only goal.
Centralized: The Barracuda are 5-1-0-1 against the Central Division in 2018-19 with their only regulation loss coming at the hands of the Wild on Feb. 5 (2-4). All-time San Jose is 21-11-2-1 against the Central Division and are 1-1-1-0 against the Minnesota Wild affiliate.
Dazzling Dezzy: On Monday, sophomore d-man Nick DeSimone picked up an assist to extend his point streak to a career-high seven-straight games (two goals, six assists) and now ranks T-12th among AHL defensemen in points (31), T-eighth in goals (9), T-14th assists (22), and T-ninth in power-play goals (4). DeSimone has already surpassed all his offensive totals from his freshman season in just 44 games.
True Dat: Alex True netted a pair of goals on Monday and now leads the Barracuda in points (40), goals (17), assists (23), game-winning goals (5) and third in plus/minus (+15). True has already surpassed all of his offensive totals from a year ago in 20 fewer games.
Joe the Wall: Rookie goaltender Josef Korenar made 25 saves on 27 shots en-route to his 17th win of the season on Monday. The AHL All-Star ranks second in the AHL in goals-against average (2.32), T-fifth in save percentage (.918), T-ninth in wins and T-third in shutouts (3).
Well Behaved: The Barracuda are the AHL’s second least penalized team, averaging just 10.67 penalty-minutes-per-game.
After Two: The Barracuda improved to 25-0-0-1 on Monday when leading after 40 minutes of play. The Barracuda are 15-0-0-1 at home when possessing a lead entering the third period.
By Period: The Barracuda boast the AHL’s third-best first-period-goal-differential (+12) and the second-best second-period-goal-differential (+19).
Overall Record: 28-12-2-4, 0.674 Winning Percentage
- 2nd in the Pacific, 4th in the Western Conference, 9th in the AHL (*PTS)
Last Week’s Results
- Tuesday, Feb. 12 – San Jose Barracuda 2 vs. Tucson Roadrunners 1 (F/SO)
- Saturday, Feb. 16 – San Jose Barracuda 3 vs. San Diego Gulls 8
- Monday, Feb. 18 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. San Diego Gulls 2
This Week’s Schedule
- Thursday, Feb. 21 – San Jose Barracuda at Iowa Wild – Wells Fargo Arena (5:00 p.m.)
- Friday, Feb. 22 – San Jose Barracuda at Iowa Wild – Wells Fargo Arena (4:00 p.m.)
- Sunday, Feb. 24 - San Jose Barracuda at Stockton Heat - Stockton Arena (5:00 p.m.)
- Dylan Gambrell reassigned from the San Jose Sharks
- T.J. Hensick signed from the Toledo Walleye
- Colby McAuley recalled from the Orlando Solar Bears
- Goals: Alex True - 17
- Assists: Alex True - 23
- Points: Alex True – 40
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 72
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 17
- GAA: Josef Korenar – 2.32
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .918
- Total Goals Scored: 173 | Total Goals Allowed: 133
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 10 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 11
- Power Play: 31-181 (16.9%), 21st in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 128-156 (82.1%), 11th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (21-10-2-3)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (2-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (3-1-1-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (4-2-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (2-4-0-1)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (9-1-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (3-3-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (5-1-0-1)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (1-0-0-1)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (0-1-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (2-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 2-1-1-0
- Record Overall: 35-17-8, 2nd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Thursday, Feb. 21 – San Jose Sharks at Pittsburgh Penguins
- Saturday, Feb. 23 – San Jose Sharks at Columbus Blue Jackets
- Sunnday, Feb. 24 – San Jose Sharks at Detroit Red Wings