BARRACUDA WEEKLYFeb 25, 2019
Wrapping up the Roadie: On Sunday, the Barracuda concluded its three-game road trip with the final visit of the season to Stockton. Despite holding a 1-0 lead heading into the third period, the Heat would net a shorthanded goal and power-play tally to take a 2-1 lead before adding a pair of empty-netters to secure a 4-1 win. The loss for San Jose snapped an eight-game winning streak over Stockton and a seven-game winning streak at the Stockton Arena. The Barracuda will wrap up the 12-game season series against Stockton at the Tank on March 10 (Pucks and Paws Night).
Looking Ahead: The ‘Cuda return back to the SAP Center on Tuesday for the final meeting of four with the Iowa Wild. San Jose fell 4-3 to the Wild last Thursday in Des Moines before responding with a 3-2 shootout victory on Friday. The Barracuda are 2-2-1-0 all-time against the Minnesota affiliate and 1-2-0-0 in 2018-19. Outside of the division, San Jose is now 6-2-0-1 this year and 21-12-2-1 all-time. Following Tuesday, San Jose will hit the road for a matchup at Ontario on Friday and at Bakersfield on Saturday.
Trade Winds: The Barracuda traded forward Vincent Praplan on Friday to the Florida Panthers in exchange for future considerations. In 27 games with the Barracuda, Praplan totaled four goals, 12 helpers and a plus-seven rating.
True That: Alex True netted his team-leading 18th goal of the season on Sunday and first shorthanded strike of his career. The sophomore Denmark native is first on the Barracuda in goals, first in points (41), second in assists (23), third in plus/minus (+14), fourth in power-play goals (3), T-first in shorthanded goals, second in points-per-game (.84), T-third in shots (97), and first in game-winning goals (5).
Gambo Good: Prior to Sunday’s loss at Stockton, Dylan Gambrell had collected points in his last five games (five goals, four assists), including a pair of multi-goal games during that stretch. On Friday, Gambrell scored twice and added the shootout game-winner in a 3-2 win at Iowa. The rookie forward ranks third on the Barracuda in points (33), third in goals (14), T-fourth in assists (22), T-third in shots (97), and first in points-per-game (.94). A 2017 National Champion at Denver University, Gambrell has skated in six games with the Sharks this season.
Joe the Wall: Barracuda rookie netminder Josef Korenar made 24 saves on 26 shots en-route to his 18th win of the season on Friday. The AHL All-Star ranks second in the AHL in goals-against average (2.30), T-fifth in save percentage (.918), T-seventh in wins (18) and T-third in shutouts.
Overall Record: 29-14-2-4, 0.653 Winning Percentage
- 2nd in the Pacific, 2nd in the Western Conference, 3rd in the AHL (PCT)
Last Week’s Results
- Monday, Feb. 18 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. San Diego Gulls 2
- Thursday, Feb. 21 – San Jose Barracuda 3 at Iowa Wild 4
- Friday, Feb. 22 – San Jose Barracuda 3 at Iowa Wild 2 (F/SO)
- Sunday, Feb. 24 – San Jose Barracuda 1 at Stockton Heat 4
This Week’s Schedule
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Iowa Wild – SAP Center at San Jose (7:00 p.m.)
- Friday, Mar. 1 – San Jose Barracuda at Ontario Reign – Citizens Business Bank Arena (7:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, Mar. 2 – San Jose Barracuda at Bakersfield Condors – Rabobank Arena (7:00 p.m.)
- Vincent Praplan traded to the Florida Panthers
- Goals: Alex True - 18
- Assists: Kyle Wood - 25
- Points: Alex True – 41
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 77
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 18
- GAA: Josef Korenar – 2.30
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .918
- Total Goals Scored: 160 | Total Goals Allowed: 134
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 11 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 12
- Power Play: 32-191 (16.8%), 24th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 136-167 (81.4%), T-14th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (21-11-2-3)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (2-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (3-1-1-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (4-2-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (2-4-0-1)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (9-2-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (3-3-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (6-2-0-1)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (1-0-0-1)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (1-2-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (2-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 2-1-1-0
- Record Overall: 37-18-8, 2nd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Tuesday, Feb. 26 – San Jose Sharks at Boston Bruins
- Friday, Mar. 1 – San Jose Sharks vs. Colorado Avalanche
- Sunday, Mar. 3 – San Jose Sharks vs. Chicago Blackhaws