BARRACUDA WEEKLYMar 5, 2019
Backtrack: After picking up a 5-3 win at home on Tuesday against Iowa, the Barracuda hit the road for a tilt at Ontario on Friday and then at Bakersfield on Saturday. On Friday, against the Reign, San Jose led three different times and put up a franchise record 56 shots on net but fell 8-4. In the loss, Alex True became just the seventh player in franchise history to reach the 20-goal mark. San Jose’s 27 third-period shots were the most in a single period in franchise history and the eight goals against matched the most given up in franchise history (4x). On Saturday, the Condors, coming off their first loss in 18 games, opened up the contest with the first five goals before San Jose netted a pair late to make it 5-2. After the loss, the Barracuda now sit five points behind Bakersfield for the top spot in the Pacific Division.
A look ahead: The Barracuda await the arrival of the Condors on Wednesday in the second of three consecutive games against the Edmonton Oilers affiliate. Since beating Bakersfield 4-0 on December 9, SJ has fallen in the last three-straight against Bako and are now 3-2-1-1 this season against the Condors.
Home-Ice Advantage: The Barracuda return to the Tank on Wednesday boasting the AHL’s sixth-best home-winning percentage (.720) and best in the Pacific Division. The Barracuda are a +18 at home and are coming off back-to-back wins. Wednesday kicks off a five-game home stand which matches the longest of the season. After Saturday, San Jose and Bakersfield will play just one more time in the regular season (Mar. 30 @ BAK).
Joe the Wall: Josef Korenar saw his three-game winning streak snapped on Saturday but still ranks T-eighth in the AHL in wins (19), seventh goals-against average (2.43), T-10th in save percentage. Korenar is now 2-2 against Bakersfield with a 2.27 GAA and a .925 SV%.
Gambo Goin’: Rookie forward Dylan Gambrell is T-10th in the AHL among first-year players in points (37) and eighth in points-per-game (.97). The former Denver Pioneer is second on the Barracuda in points, T-second in goals (15), fourth in assists (22), and fourth in shots (106) despite playing in just 38 games.
True That: Sophomore center Alex True collected his team-leading ninth multi-point night of the season on Friday and the fourth multi-goal effort of his career. True is first on the Barracuda in points (43), first in goals (20), third in assists (23), second in points-per-game (.83), second in shots (108), first in game-winning goals and first in shooting percentage (18.5%).
Dynamic Dezy: Barracuda blueliner Nick DeSimone ranks T-11th among all AHL d-men in points (35), T-eighth in goals (10), T-12th in assists and T-10th in power-play goals. DeSimone is just the fourth defenseman in Barracuda history to reach the double-digit goal mark and now ranks T-fifth on the team in goals, second in assists, fourth in points, and fourth in power-play goals.
Well Disciplined: Only the Rockford (9.68) IceHogs have taken fewer penalties per game than the Barracuda (10.83).
Lots of Rubber: The Barracuda put a franchise record 56 shots on net on Friday and now rank fifth in the AHL in shots-per-game (32.54).
Overall Record: 30-16-2-4, 0.635 Winning Percentage
- 2nd in the Pacific, 2nd in the Western Conference, 6th in the AHL (PCT)
Last Week’s Results
- Tuesday, Feb. 26 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. Iowa Wild 3
- Friday, Mar. 1 – San Jose Barracuda 4 at Ontario Reign 8
- Saturday, Mar. 2 – San Jose Barracuda 2 at Bakersfield Condors 5
This Week’s Schedule
- Wednesday, Mar. 6 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Bakersfield Condors – SAP Center at San Jose (7:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, Mar. 9 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Bakersfield Condors – SAP Center at San Jose (6:00 p.m.)
- Sunday, Mar. 10 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Stockton Heat – SAP Center at San Jose (3:00 p.m.)
- Jon Dahlen acquired via trade from Vancouver on Feb. 26
- Goals: Alex True - 20
- Assists: Kyle Wood - 27
- Points: Alex True – 43
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 84
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 19
- GAA: Josef Korenar – 2.43
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .914
- Total Goals Scored: 171 | Total Goals Allowed: 150
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 11 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 16
- Power Play: 33-203 (16.3%), 25th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 143-177 (80.8%), 17th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (21-11-2-3)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (2-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (3-2-1-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (4-3-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (2-4-0-1)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (9-2-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (3-3-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (6-2-0-1)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (1-0-0-1)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (2-2-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (2-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 2-1-0-0
- Record Overall: 39-19-8, 2nd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Thursday, Mar. 7 – San Jose Sharks vs. Montreal Canadiens
- Saturday, Mar. 9 – San Jose Sharks vs. St. Louis Blues