BARRACUDA WEEKLYMar 12, 2019
Comeback Kids: The Barracuda snapped their season-long four-game skid on Sunday by erasing a 4-1 deficit in the third period before picking up a 5-4 shootout win over the Heat. Sunday’s game wrapped up the 12-game season series against the Flames affiliate and improved the Barracuda to a 10-2 record against Stockton this season… matching the most points earned against the Heat in one year (2015-16: 9-1-1-1). In the win, Antoine Bibeau snapped his five-game winless drought, Alex True collected his team-leading 21st tally and Francis Perron netted a regulation strike and the shootout winner to improve San Jose to 4-4 in shootouts this season.
Breathing Room: After Sunday’s win, the Barracuda are now two points (68) ahead of San Diego for the second spot in the Pacific Division with a game in hand. The Gulls who have lost three in a row are in Bakersfield on Wednesday and Manitoba on Sunday and Tuesday.
The Road Ahead: The Barracuda boast the Western Conference’s toughest strength of schedule down the final stretch of the season (.577) but have the second-most games remaining in the division. Of San Jose’s final 13 games, six of them are at the SAP Center.
Up Next: The Barracuda are off until Saturday and Sunday when the Colorado Eagles make their final visit to San Jose and first since late December. The Eagles are riding a six-game winning streak and now have a seven-point advantage on the Tucson Roadrunners for the fourth and final playoff spot in the Pacific. Colorado hosts the Ontario Reign on Tuesday and Wednesday before traveling to San Jose for the weekend. The Barracuda are 2-0-1-1 against the Eagles this season, with both wins coming at the Tank.
Gambo Goin’: The Sharks recalled rookie center-ice man Dylan Gambrell for their two-game road trip that began in Minnesota on Monday and concludes in Winnipeg on Tuesday. Prior to his recall, Gambrell had totaled 14 points over his last 11 games, including a pair of multi-goal efforts. The former Denver Pioneer ranks 10th in the AHL among rookies in points (38), T-eighth in goals (16) and eighth in points-per-game (.95). The Sharks selected the 22-year-old in the second round (#60 overall) of the 2016 NHL Draft.
True That: On Sunday, Alex True netted his team-leading 21st goal of the year, tying for the fourth most in a single season in franchise history. True is now T-third in Barracuda history in goals (36 – Nikolay Goldobin) and is pacing San Jose in 2018-19 in points (47), goals, multi-point games (10), T-first in plus/minus (+13), second in points-per-game (.85), third in assists (26), and T-third in shots (116).
Tough Guy: Rookie forward Jeffrey Viel ranks third in the AHL in major penalties (8) and is first among all freshmen. In addition, Viel is T-first among first-year players in penalty minutes (86). As the captain of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan last year, Viel who signed with the Barracuda as a free agent this offseason, led the Titan to a Memorial Cup Championship while earning QMJHL Playoff MVP Honors (Guy Lafleur Trophy).
Dezzy Dishin’: San Jose sophomore d-man Nick DeSimone ranks T-10th in the AHL in points (37) among blueliners, T-ninth in goals (10) and is T-12th in power-play goals (4). Among all Barracuda skaters, the East Amherst, New York native is fourth in points, T-fourth in goals, T-first in assists (27), fourth in power-play goals, and first in shots (120).
Overall Record: 31-18-2-4, 0.618 Winning Percentage
- 2nd in the Pacific, 4th in the Western Conference, 8th in the AHL (PCT)
Last Week’s Results
- Wednesday, Mar. 6 – San Jose Barracuda 4 vs. Bakersfield Condors 8
- Saturday, Mar. 9 – San Jose Barracuda 1 vs. Bakersfield Condors 7
- Sunday, Mar. 10 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. Stockton Heat 4 (F/SO)
This Week’s Schedule
- Saturday, Mar. 16 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Colorado Eagles – SAP Center at San Jose (1:15 p.m.)
- Sunday, Mar. 17 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Colorado Eagles – SAP Center at San Jose (3:00 p.m.)
- Dylan Gambrell recalled to San Jose (NHL) from San Jose (AHL) – Mar. 10, 2019
- Ivan Kosorenkov recalled to San Jose (AHL) from Worcester (ECHL) – Mar. 8, 2019
- Colby McAuley reassigned to Orlando (ECHL) from San Jose (AHL) – Mar. 8, 2019
- Goals: Alex True - 21
- Assists: Kyle Wood/Nick DeSimone - 27
- Points: Alex True – 47
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 86
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 19
- GAA: Josef Korenar – 2.67
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .906
- Total Goals Scored: 181 | Total Goals Allowed: 169
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 10 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 19
- Power Play: 34-216 (15.7%), 26th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 150-187 (80.2%), 22nd in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (24-18-2-3)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (2-0-1-1)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (3-4-1-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (4-3-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (2-4-0-1)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (10-2-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (3-3-0-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (6-2-0-1)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (1-0-0-1)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (2-2-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (2-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 3-0-0-0
- Record Overall: 42-19-8, 1st in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Tuesday, Mar. 12 – San Jose Sharks at Winnipeg Jets
- Thursday, Mar. 14 – San Jose Sharks vs. Florida Panthers
- Saturday, Mar. 16 – San Jose Sharks vs. Nashville Predators