BARRACUDA WEEKLYApr 2, 2019
Let’s go Streaking: The Barracuda completed a perfect week on Saturday by taking down the Bakersfield Condors, 4-2, at the Rabobank Arena in the final game of the 10-game season series with the Oilers affiliate. Prior to Saturday, the Barracuda edged San Diego, 3-2, on Wednesday in game three of a three-game road trip before shutting out Ontario at home on Friday, 5-0, in game eight of the eight game season series with the Kings affiliate. If the Tucson Roadrunners are to lose on Tuesday at Iowa, the Barracuda can clinch a Calder Cup playoff berth as soon as Wednesday with a win over San Diego.
Home Sweet Home: The Barracuda have outscored their opponents 14-0 over their last two home games and now boast the AHL’s 11th best home winning percentage (.677) and the 2nd best in the Pacific Division.
It’s a Sunday Funday when you win on Saturday😏📽 pic.twitter.com/7huM2mOixF— San Jose Barracuda (@sjbarracuda) March 31, 2019
What’s next?: The Barracuda kick off their final homestand of the 2018-19 regular season on Wednesday when they welcome the San Diego Gulls to the SAP Center. The Barracuda will wrap up its final two regular-season home games on Friday and Saturday against the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Dynamic Dezy: Barracuda defenseman Nick DeSimone extended his point streak (three goals, seven assists) to a career-high eight games on Saturday when he collected a pair of assists against Bakersfield. DeSimone ranks sixth among AHL d-men in points (46) and T-fifth in goals (13).
Great Gambino: The Sharks reassigned rookie forward Dylan Gambrell to the Barracuda on Monday after appearing in a pair of games in the NHL over the last week. Gambrell ranks 14th among AHL first-year players in points (41), T-5th in goals (18), T-11th in points-per-game (.91), and T-15th in shots (131).
Mac Attack: Barracuda Captain John McCarthy scored a pair of goals in San Jose’s 5-0 win over Ontario on Friday and now ranks first in Barracuda history in games played (252), points (131), goals (58), assists (73), power-play goals (16) and shorthanded goals (5).
New Faces: The Sharks assigned Marcus Vela to the Barracuda on Wednesday after the conclusion of his collegiate career at New Hampshire. So far, through three games, Vela has collected a pair of assists. On Sunday, the Sharks assigned Vladislav Kotkov from Chicoutimi Saguenéens of the QMJHL to the Barracuda. Kotkov signed as a free with the Sharks in July.
Joe the Wall: Barracuda rookie netminder Josef Korenar earned his 21st win of the season on Saturday and now ranks 13th in the AHL in wins and T-third in shutouts (4). Among first-year AHL goaltenders, Korenar is third in goals-against average (2.57), third in save percentage (.910) and second in wins (21).
Overall Record: 35-20-3-4, 0.621 Winning Percentage
- 2nd in the Pacific, 3rd in the Western Conference, 7th in the AHL (PCT)
Last Week’s Results
- Wednesday, Mar. 27 – San Jose Barracuda 3 at San Diego Gulls 2
- Friday, Mar. 29 – San Jose Barracuda 5 vs. Ontario Reign 0
- Saturday, Mar. 30 – San Jose Barracuda 4 at Bakersfield Condors 2
This Week’s Schedule
- Wednesday, Apr. 3 – San Jose Barracuda vs. San Diego Gulls – SAP Center (7:00 p.m.)
- Friday, Apr. 5 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Grand Rapids – SAP Center (7:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, Apr. 6 – San Jose Barracuda vs. Grand Rapids – SAP Center (1:15 p.m.)
- Vladislav Kotkov reassigned to Barracuda on 4/1
- Marcus Vela reassigned to the Barracuda on 3/27
- Goals: Alex True - 23
- Assists: Nick DeSimone - 32
- Points: Alex True - 51
- PIMs: Jeffrey Viel - 90
- Wins: Josef Korenar - 21
- GAA: Josef Korenar – 2.57
- SV%: Josef Korenar – .910
- Total Goals Scored: 207 | Total Goals Allowed: 181
- Total Goals Scored, Week: 12 | Totals Goals Allowed, Week: 4
- Power Play: 39-236 (16.5%), 25th in the AHL
- Penalty Kill: 176-214 (82.2%), 10th in the AHL
Pacific Division - Totals vs. Pacific: (25-19-2-3)
- Bakersfield (Edmonton Oilers) (4-4-1-1)
- Colorado (Colorado Avalanche) (3-1-1-1)
- Ontario (LA Kings) (5-3-0-0)
- San Diego (Anaheim Ducks) (3-4-0-1)
- Stockton (Calgary Flames) (10-2-0-0)
- Tucson (Arizona Coyotes) (3-4-1-0)
Central Division - Totals vs. Central: (6-2-0-1)
- Grand Rapids (Detroit Red Wings) (1-0-0-1)
- Iowa (Minnesota Wild) (2-2-0-0)
- San Antonio (St. Louis Blues) (2-0-0-0)
- Texas (Dallas Stars) (2-0-0-0)
San Jose Sharks (NHL)
- Record Last Week: 1-4-0-0
- Record Overall: 44-26-9, 2nd in the Pacific Division
This Week’s Schedule:
- Tuesday, Apr. 2 – San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks
- Thursday, Apr. 4 – San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers
- Saturday, Apr. 6 – San Jose Sharks at Colorado Avalanche